Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Tour Summary

So it is over! A short summary is required at this point:

I cycled from Chennai to Kolkata. I started in Tamil Nadu and passed through Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Jharkhand (20 odd kilometers only), and finally ended in West Bengal. I covered about 1950 kilometers in the 15 days that I travelled.

I saw interesting places and met interesting people (two of them like me!) .

I spoke in hindi almost exclusively. I used some telugu and oriya also, but that was negligible. English wasn't required anywhere.

The nights I spent in lodges, dormitories and even a dharamshala. I ate the local food - vegetarian as a rule (egg is my non-vegetarian limit), and drank the available water (no mineral water).

The return journey to Bangalore was by train and bus.

And, the total cost of the trip (includes everything) comes around Rs. 7500 -- going around in a cycle is not cheap ;)

Anything else I missed ???

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

U missed us telling about your health !!!!

10:30 AM  
Blogger Shree Kumar said...

My health is unaffected and I am feeling great!

Maybe I lost a kilo or two due to the trip but I guess I've already regained that ;)

Just for the sake of comparison, I had lost 4 kilos in the twelve days that I had cycled in my South India Trip, and felt *really* weak after I came back. I remember reading somewhere that cycling muscles mature with age - must be true !

3:08 PM  
Blogger Shree Kumar said...

Thanks, JD!

How do I decide the place for my nighthaul ??

Normally I aim to reach a place which has a lodge before I stop for rest at the end of the day. The place should be atleast 120-150 kms away. However, on a need basis, I can stretch the distance to 200+ kms, eg Rajahmundry to Vizag...

I replaced my tyres and tubes with new ones before I began the journey. I wanted to replace the gear wires also, but didn't. Note that I didn't even need to replenish the air in the tubes during my entire journey! My experience is that if the tyre is weak, only then punctures happen... I did have a cycle problem -- for more details, see my post entitled "Day 8 - Tekkali to Chattarpur".

I didn't lose way coz I had all the maps and mostly I have cycling on the highways!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home